Restorative Dentistry in Newport Beach, CA
Being a parent is always full of surprises. No matter how familiar we get with our little ones and their needs, we are often caught off guard by whatever is thrown at us next. One such surprise could be receiving news from the dentist that your child needs dental fillings or crowns to restore and repair damaged or decayed teeth.
There’s nothing like rolling up to a routine check-up expecting good news only to hear otherwise! But don’t worry. Dr. Geoffrey Hersch and Dr. Danielle Goodman of Hersch Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics want parents to know that these procedures are standard, safe, and effective in restoring strong, healthy smiles for your kiddos.
Restorative Dentistry Ensures that Your Child’s Primary Teeth Remain Strong and Healthy
Many parents ask, “if baby teeth eventually fall out, why are they so important?” Unfortunately, many people don’t recognize how crucial it is to maintain healthy primary teeth, thinking they’ll fall out anyway, so it’s not a big deal.
However, primary teeth play a vital role for children for several reasons:
- They guide the eruption of permanent teeth.
- They allow a child to eat and maintain good nutrition.
- They allow for clear pronunciation and good speech habits.
- They can even give a child a great self-image.
By visiting your Newport Beach children’s dental clinic, Dr. Hersch and Dr. Goodman can ensure that your child’s teeth stay in great shape with preventative and restorative treatments (including cavity fillings and crowns).
The Benefits of Dental Fillings and Crowns
When it comes to dental care, dental fillings and tooth caps are essential procedures for dental professionals. Dental fillings quickly restore teeth damaged by decay, while dental crowns cover a tooth entirely, forming a “cap” that helps protect it from further damage.
Both dental fillings and crowns provide many benefits, including preventing infection, protecting dental health, saving money on dental bills in the long term due to less frequent replacements, and needing dental extraction. Whether you need basic protection or more extensive restoration, dental fillings and crowns can give your teeth the protection they need for optimal oral health.
Quality Care From Our Experienced Team
Generally, we recommend dental fillings and crowns to young patients who’ve suffered tooth decay or noticeable damage. Dental fillings are used for smaller cavities, while tooth crowns strengthen teeth after moderate to extensive damage or a dental pulpotomy. Both treatments can restore your child’s smile functionally and aesthetically. Here’s what you can expect from us:
- Dental Fillings: A composite filling is a tooth-colored material. After tooth decay is removed and cleaned, the composite material is layered onto the tooth. Each layer is hardened or cured with an intense, visibly blue light, and the final surface is shaped and polished to match the tooth. Composite fillings are hardly noticeable because it’s designed to blend in with the existing teeth.
- Dental Crowns: A crown (often called a cap) covers the tooth and restores it to its original shape and size. Decay is removed and cleaned from the tooth, and a preformed crown is placed over the tooth. Unlike adult crowns, which are made to fit the tooth and require two appointments, dental crowns for kids are placed in one visit because the tooth is prepared to fit the crown.
Repair your child’s smile with dental fillings and crowns
Whether you want to schedule a first-time visit or a follow-up appointment, our Newport Beach dental clinic is always available to answer your questions. Has your child recently complained about their teeth hurting? Are you worried that your child might be suffering from cavities? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, schedule a pediatric dental appointment at Hersch Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics through our online scheduler or call (949) 644-0611.